Should one visit Myanmar?
Yes. It is a beautiful country with lovely and friendly but desperately poor people who badly need the tourist dollar.
How difficult is travel in Myanmar?
Entry formalities are relatively uncomplicated and independent travel is possible. There are good local travel agents who can book hotels and arrange transport. There is a good road network and internal flights are available to all major centres. Thai Airways fly from London Heathrow to Yangon via Bangkok. Myawaddy T&T arrange airport meeting and assisting at Yangon airport. (Tel: 730 50 540, 730 50 540, E-mail: email@example.com
When should one go and for how long?
The best time to visit Myanmar is between November and February. Two weeks are needed to see the major attractions at a relaxed pace and an itinerary that starts in Yangon and visits Bagan, Mandalay, Inle, Ngapali and returns to Yangon would cover the above.
- Day 1: Fly from London to Bangkok with Thai Airways.
- Day 2: Arrive Bangkok and take the Thai Airways connecting flight to Yangon. 2 nights at The Governor’s Residence (deluxe room). Evening visit to Shwedagon Pagoda.
- Day 3: Morning city tour including the old colonial part of Yangon and the reclining Buddha at Chaukhtatgyi Paya. Afternoon free.
- Day 4: Flight to Pagan. Two nights at Thande Bungalows (Deluxe Riverview Room) or similar. Visit Ananda Paya, Shwezigon and Manuha temples.
- Day 5: Visit Hti Lominlo, Dhammyangi and Sulamuni temples and Shwe San Daw to view the sunset. Optional trip to Mount Popa.
- Day 6: Optional dawn balloon flight over the temples of Pagan. Board RV Paukan 2007 (upper deck, full board) for the two-night cruise upriver to Mandalay.
- Day 7: On board RV Paukan.
- Day 8: Arrive Mandalay. Two nights at Red Canal (Shan Suite) or similar. City tour of Mandalay and a visit to U Bein’s Bridge at Amarapura. Sunset at the top of Mandalay Hill.
- Day 9: Day excursion to the hill station of Maymyo.
- Day 10: Flight to Heho. Drive to Inle Lake. Vineyard visit and tasting. Two nights at Inle Princess Resort (lake front view chalet) or similar.
- Day 11: Inle Lake tour by boat including the temple complex at Indein and Nampan Five Day Market.
- Day 12: Flight to Yangon. Drive to Kyaiktiyo and the Golden Rock. Overnight at Mountain Top Inn (deluxe room). Visit Golden Rock temple.
- Day 13: Return to Yangon. Visit Scott Market. Overnight at Governors Residence. Dinner at Le Planteur.
- Day 14: Morning free. Afternoon flight to Bangkok with Thai Airways to catch the overnight flight to London.
- Day 15: Arrive London.
- On the streets of Myanmar, little hope for change (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Vietnam Airlines connects Saigon to Yangon (lookatvietnam.com)
- Myanmar Hopes To Increase Foreign Tourism With Prisoner Aung San Suu Kyi’s Release (huffingtonpost.com)